Our Beliefs

Seeking to be a people of grace and truth, St. John's affirms:

  • The Trinitarian name of God - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and that God has revealed Himself fully and decisively as attested in Holy Scripture. 
  • The Bible, consisting of the Old and New Testaments, to be the inspired and authoritative Word of God and those Scriptures as the guide for life and faith. 
  • There is only one way to Salvation - through Jesus Christ. 
  • With the Church Universal the historic creeds, including the Apostles' Creed, as accurate interpretations of the Scriptures.  
  • As heirs of the Protestant, evangelical tradition, the authority of Scripture, the priesthood of believers, and Salvation by grace through faith alone.  
  • That the mission of the Church is to spread the Good News of the Gospel of salvation in word and deed and that we are sent by Christ into all the world to proclaim the atoning death and resurrection of Jesus Christ and to bring every person into a life of faith, discipleship and submission to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. 
  • The sanctity of human life based on our creation in the image of God and our election by God for service in His Kingdom. This leads us to respectfully affirm sanctity at every stage of human life. 
  • The Biblical guidelines for human sexuality: marriage as the union of one man and one woman, fidelity and holiness in marriage and chastity outside of marriage for the sake of the Kingdom. 
  • Regarding polity, that Jesus Christ is the head of His body, the Church, and of the local church. Christ exercises His authority in each local church by the Holy Spirit and through the Holy Scriptures. Each local church is in itself a complete church, and is therefore autonomous and possesses all the rights and responsibilities of the church as bestowed upon it by the Holy Spirit and set forth in God's Word. We do not stand alone but are united with all believers. We affiliate with churches of like background via the Evangelical Association of Reformed and Congregational Christian Churches (www.evangelicalassociation.org).


Spreading God's Word

SINCE1874

The history of St. John's is linked closely to the founding and growth of Cullman itself. After the Civil War, when many people were hearing of the beautiful countryside of northern Alabama, a group of German pioneers, led by Johann Gottgried Cullmann, acted with vision and courage and moved to the area to establish a free German colony. John G. Cullman was a native of Frankweiler, Bavaria and can be considered one of America's heroic pioneers. In 1864, this staunch advocate of democracy came to the United States at forty-one years of age to explore the possibilities for a life in America. Having expended all the resources of his two businesses in an attempt to keep Bavaria free, Cullman was branded a revolutionary and forced to leave Germany. He first worked in Philadelphia as a clerk before moving to Cincinnati, where there was a large German population. Determined to earn enough resources to establish his colony, he studied law at night and was admitted to the bar in record time In 1871. At the prospect of cheap land, he came to North Alabama, searching for a place to settle in the Tennessee Valley and finally decided to purchase 350,000 acres on each side of the Nashville to Montgomery main line railroad. He then began recruiting German families. The actual settlement in Cullman began in late April, 1873, with five families. By the next year, 123 families had arrived. The town was planned carefully - wide streets, parks on each side of the railway, and land designated for churches. In 1874, a year before the town was officially incorporated, Colonel Cullmann and those first families founded the first religious organization in the community and the area. The church was first named First Evangelical Protestant Church (later changed to St. John's), and a sanctuary was quickly constructed. The German families were people with deep religious backgrounds and the church quickly thrived with services all conducted in German. In 1922, the present church sanctuary was constructed with the labor of the members and with the inspiration of God. The result was one of the most beautiful churches in North Alabama with acclaimed and appreciated stained glass windows. Services continued in German until 1932. The language was becoming a problem and lead to lessening attendance, and that year the German services were limited to twice a month. The arrangement continued until October, 1941, when they were finally discontinued. As a rare German community in the deep South, the Evangelical Protestant Church sought German pastors first, with less consideration given to denominational ties. This commitment to ethnic heritage meant that pastors were called from a variety of backgrounds, including both ecumencially minded German Evangelicals and pastors committed to various Lutheran synods. Eventually St. John's would affiliate with the German Evangelical Church of North America. St. John's is proud of its heritage. The wonderful Evangelical heritage with the dignity of worship and a commitment to education showed early when the parochial school was formed in 1877. In 1931, the Evangelical influence was tempered with a merger with the Reformed Church to form the Evangelical and Reformed denomination. Then in 1957, that body merged with the Congregational Christian churches to make up the United Church Of Christ. Today St. John's is a part of the Evangelical Association of Reformed and Congregational Christian Churches. True to our original charter, St. John's is a community church, and welcomes people of all denominational backgrounds  and varying levels of faith who desire to seek, worship, and serve the Lord Jesus Christ.